Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Yes, kids still do use their imaginations


Since Cory was just a little boy he has always loved Annabella. He loves it for many reasons but mainly because there is, and has always been, an abundance of bricks, rocks, dirt, wood, or just about anything you might need to make something fun. He has always loved to build and create things indoors and out. Lincoln logs, Knex, Tinker Toys, and Bionicles have been a constant fascination of his.


I have found Annabella to be a place where a child's imagination can come alive. I believe this is why my Dad is such a brilliant man, he grew up here. He helped his Dad with just about everything, followed him around and learned just about everything there is to know. When he was young he would take things apart just to see how they worked, and then he'd put it back together. Cory reminds me a lot of my Dad, not just his looks and build but his shy little personality.

When Cory was about 7 or 8 he built a fantastic little brick house. If you look closely you can see Jackson sitting inside. That is a little frightening, I know, but the picture is priceless. I love the huge grin on Jackson's face. This little house needed to be condemned, but it was so cute.
The latest fun thing for the kids to play with is the huge pile of rocks in the back yard. The rocks came from the original foundation of the house we now live in. My Dad put in a new foundation and basically rebuilt the entire house over the period of 4-5 years starting in about 1999.(My dates could be off, I'm sure I'll hear about it.) The original foundation and home were built by my Great Grandfather in 1905. So the rocks have some history and my Dad left them in a pile in the back yard. The kids all love to build little homes, garages, tunnels, etc with the rocks. When we moved in a year ago the kids pulled out the chevron car collection, that Cory has cherished since his early years, and have parked them in and around the rocks. They are constantly updating their towns and naming new businesses. I've heard them coming in the house at night talking about their new store, or school. I think it is fun.






My neighbor and I were talking at the fence a few weeks ago when we were weeding the garden. He said he felt bad for all the little kids that don't have a pile of rocks to play with, and that he had really enjoyed watching the kids.


Basically, I guess I'm saying that kids do still have imaginations. Do my kids like video games? Of course, but they enjoy just as much, if not more, the fun in their own back yard. I especially enjoy the fact that my teenagers can still have fun together playing like kids, and I'm in no hurry for them to grow out of that.







7 comments:

Kim said...

I thought I left a comment earlier...but anyway...Matthew would so love to come over to your house to play..this sounds just like something he would LOVE...I wish my other kids loved to play outside as much as him...it's always so fun to see what your family is up to.

Alisa said...

That looks like they are having fun. Some of those look pretty intricate! How on earth do you not have tons of weeds all over the dirt? Ryan keeps asking if we can keep some of our flower beds free of plants so he can play in the dirt. If it doesn't have flowers or shrubs, though, it quickly becomes over run by weeds!

Lia said...

I loved this blog. I thought it was so beautiful, what great sentiment. I was that kind of kid. I loved making mud pies. I always loved patting the wet mud and watching the water come to the surface. I still love mud, sand and dirt.

Jacque said...

Alisa- My Dad sprays for weeds each spring and summer and we keep them down good. Yes we get weeds just like everyone else.

Jacque said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janey said...

It's fun to see your sweeties are keeping the wonderland in the Annabella yard alive and well. I must say they are extremely imaginitive chilrens... always have been. :) PS - love those chevron cars! I babysat for you once back in your Balmoral days and we played chevron cars the whole time...

Anonymous said...

What great imaginations! It sounds like a lot of fun and things that I would have done as a child!